Thursday, October 27, 2011

Less Fratty?

After our discussion in class about the possible social changes that might take place at Trinity, I was very interested in reading the Presidents paper. Naturally I skimmed to the part I cared about most, the social life. Let me preface this by saying that personally I think Trinity is a school in which the students know how to have a good time and that is why many other people from other schools come here on weekends (even Thursdays). What I got from reading the social aspect part of the paper was that it seemed as if the president and faculty want to get rid of frats and replace them with "cultural houses", however the definition of a cultural house was not exactly clear. The president referred to the Mill and the Fred as an example of some of the positive social life, and seemed to find the prevailing frat culture as a sort of a negative tool. Personally I enjoy and look forward to going to frats on the weekends. Although there is a negative stigma attached to the word frat, I believe this not completely accurate. Now Im not going to deny that sometimes some of the actions that go down are questionable, but I don't think moving the party to a cultural house would make it any better. Also since we want to keep all students interested, if you are not a frat person maybe we should focus on expanding the other social outlets instead of replacing one that more than half of the campus enjoys. Im interested to see how this plays out over the coming years and hope that the administration doesn't rush to an inaccurate conclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment